Sunday, September 7, 2008

Walking Harmony Meditation- Allie

So the former musings about savoring were really the beginnings of the deeper, wider appreciation of the moment-by-moment existence that this type of surgical recovery requires. Nothing is the same as before. The famous 'hip precautions' require a 6 month (minimum) period of: No Bending, keep torso at least 90% angle from lower body at ALL times, do a series of 100 straight leg lifts to front, side and back -both legs. Increase walking distance each day. And 3 x week physical therapy. This is work, tiring, yet the progress is wonderful to experience. My re-learning of a proper gait will take time, the Dr. as well as my PT said.

Take it S-L-O-W (L-Y!)

Savoring this current reality and letting the other pressures slip aside ( I hope I prepared well...) work mates and friends very attentive with cards and emails and requests for visits, yet somehow, I am relishing the singular healing space of our Albany home, garden and various rooms 'holding' me as I move through mundane tasks, sit here, exercise there, prepare a snack there, etc. The voices of children and dogs are music, as well as the many birds singing in the back yards in the city neighborhood. Weather has been amazingly beautiful. Nice support there. Washington Park walks a daily - my walking meditation- I visit the Moses statue each late afternoon, sit and watch the light dance over the tops of the late sumer blooms- so divine!

Pain diminishing somewhat -actually easier without the meds. Sleeping still a problem, as comfort doesn't come easy..yet. (Is that a false belief..?) Have permission to shower now, pressure of the water was a surprise. And my toes enjoyed the wet soapiness. Mind able to drift, read some good fiction, muse, write and, thanks to Andrea, who brought pastels, do some drawing! Yoga poses emerging also as part of daily routine- breathing (pranayama) a very big help- essential to move the energy. Music variations also key, as well a playing the tibetan bowls - I actually danced a litte this am after a nice leg and foot massage from my beloved Newell. ( He went out to a great jazz concert last night with friends- I passed- too much stim: NG)

Today we savored luncheon with Thyag, Kate and Lara on State Street, after running into an OMH pal on the street. Good food and conversation about the complexity of our times and the importance of building communities that help create meaning and thriving for all folks. This is what we do, Newell and I, or at least strive to. So thankful for Paris experience coming up thanks to Thyag's generous offer to
share his space near Montmartre with us. Newell and I have yet to be there together. Family bond very deep with Thyag, Kate and Lara, I feel.

Gave some Save the Date cards for Lara to put at the Olana restaurant in NYC- for fundraiser at work Oct 18th. Imagine: 150 jack o'lanterns carved by by children and adults in MHA programs- sprinkled every few feet down a forest walk at dusk - to an amazing view of the Hudson River - the watershed view overlooking the Rip Van Winkle bridge! Check out this website for the details on joining us: http://www.mhacg.org/whoWeAre/events.htm

My savoring of the learning to walk again is like imagining again as I did as a child- the Native Americans walked so as not to leave any imprint on the earth, or make any sound, so as not to disturb the great magnificence- in my meditations this afternoon I ask: "can we learn again to savor each moment, return to a quiet inside, so our steps and words and actions and thoughts and feelings all combine to create a harmony? The distress all around is so unwieldy that I am really pulled to the life of simplicity again. Not too much, but just enough- don't not express, just BE Present, Go With the Flow, Enjoy Life and Share your Gifts!"

love, Allie- Blog posting Sunday afternoon Sept 7th 2008

No comments: