Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Day 21 - the work begins

Uh-oh, Now the work begins, I'm afraid - outpatient physical therapy began yesterday. Tom is a low key, wry guy, all business despite the acerbic humor. No chance to get away with any monkey business here. He even knows yoga. He has a great big office and lots of equipment, across the park, so I will be able to walk there in a few weeks myself. Newell, a great chauffeur, however the walk serves as good PT.

The old psoas and L3 will now be officially relaxed and stretched to allow the gait to become straight. My desire is strong, but, what is this tiredness? Takes a lot of energy to heal, doing PT exercises or not. And yes, the long wound on my side reminds me every day, as do the nerves in my leg, that we are still in the beginning. Muscles need re training, rest and recovery , this was a BIG surgery.

Reminded that matters of scale were always hard for me- nothing was ever too difficult, too complex, to impossible-seeming. Now, however, the real deal is to get down and just do this repetitive work of PT. "Yes we can" is the motto and Repeat! Whew. A new adventure.

Also wandered over to our neighborhood YMCA where we are members to try some upper body strengtheners. Gotta keep the balance now...

New lebanese place had a warm moussaka ready for the post training recovery. Continuing to savor all that is.....

Now Newell is going out to vote- and I will rest.....

a sweet rain today -
in appreciative amazement, I remain Allie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Allie, Nice seeing you yesterday, and there you go off to the Food Coop meeting. Back in the saddle. Everything is good with your new parts. Heal quickly and straight and strong. Be seeing you around the neighborhood, Ed