Friday, August 29, 2008

Savoring Time


In my travels around the planet, the places and cultures I have encountered, the many spices and tastes absorbed in my appetites for adventure, I must say that I came late to the practice of savoring. I am in such a place of supreme 'pause' now, that I can begin to appreciate what this slowing down might mean to my taste buds. Can't work now, concentration on outside things minimized, so why not explore that magic quarter second- open to the muse of supreme savoring?

To savor. Expanding awareness into a full spectrum of the senses and impressions, simultaneously appreciating and lingering in more or less isolated detail(s).

In my lust for escape and edge-y experiences in the first half of my life, sitting and savoring just wasn't a practice I sought in my normal activities. Seashore sunsets, mountain tops and other places of extraordinary beauty would stop me in my path, and I would drink in the impressions, yet I had no 'regular practice' of savoring. Sensual savoring, that is. Of course, I would 'sit'; that is purposefully stop and serenely observe my mind, body and breathing. Yet that savoring seems now somehow deeply distant from this wonderful new and buoyant approach to eating and food that this time of healing is offering me.

The most divine Chocolate -Dipped Strawberries were gifted yesterday by a friend and my buds have been consumed with the complex blend of texture and taste and temperature. ...Some Chocolate -Dipped Coconut Almond Morsels slipped between the strawberry pods were delightful surprises to pop into my mouth too. Last night and this afternoon, as I savor the results of my latest PT visit, the intensity of the Denver speeches last night and the all pervasive Hope for a future of Creative Freedom in our country.....I appreciate that simple tastes can hold the complexity of things human, with that special need I have for the exotic and innovative and extra-sensual too!

Now imagine our kitchen here in our historic federal style Albany house filled with extra iron rich Molasses Cookies, Moroccan Pea Soup and Couscous, other offerings of Meats, Cheese and Fish - all medicine because of the love and caring necessary in the preparation.

Now savoring all these healing ingredients, I daresay I feel buffeted by the nutrients of the natural food elements and perhaps more so by the artistry and intentions of their creators.

Even the Enchantress from Florence, Salman Rushdies's latest novel- came over the threshold to accompany all these savory foods to help create an array of supports for my body, my mind, my curiosity and my taste buds. All for the most precious gift ever : my return to a natural gait.

Newell sure likes it too.

My heart and soul are also so appreciating cards and plants and calls, messages of support and love; all-around serving to provide me resources to regain proper gait and balance- yes that is the call!.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, All

No comments: